Horticulture and urban agricultureWaterUps® Horticulture
Food security is becoming an increasing issue of focus for urban planners. Wicking bed systems provide a unique solution for many of the problems related to urban farming.
Why use WaterUps®?
- WaterUps® provide a unique solution for many of the problems related to urban farming
- Issues such as soil contamination, brownfield development, and embedding agriculture in an urban setting can all be successfully addressed with WaterUps®
- Save up to 80% of the water normally used with surface watering
- Grow healthier plants by maintaining a consistent moisture level in the soil
- Catch and store rainwater for irrigation instead of draining away
Pocket City Farms
WaterUps® installed our first beds at Pocket City Farms in early 2019 as a trial. A few months later a further 11 timber beds were installed along the street frontage to grow leafy greens, fennel, and other small rooting vegetables. This allowed the farm to increase food yields.
Melbourne Food Hub
In November 2019, WaterUps® were installed at the Melbourne Food Hub, in the first commercial trial of our in-ground wicking beds system.